05 May … because rollers ain't rollers
A better system demands a better roller
For those who value project performance and long-term end-user experience, every detail demands attention. The EDGE research and development team excel at attention to detail. EDGE Architectural Glazing Systems offer ranges developed with a focus on holistic systems and entire project performance. The EDGE DNA, or unique features, performs within the EDGE Ecosystem – the term we use to describe the interconnected relationship between the Ai team, partner fabricators and partner suppliers.
The EDGE ranges are not stand alone sticks of aluminium with some interchangeable parts and pieces thrown in. Every aspect of the EDGE systems is the result of deliberate thought and research, and specific choices made to meet specific needs and deliver specific benefits. This extends to the EDGE roller door hardware, purposefully chosen for consistent quality performance. The EDGE systems were specifically designed with the Mammoth/Tomma hardware and here’s why:
The first tandem roller in the commercial market featured a nylon carriage with aluminium housing. It was an unpredictable thing which allowed a lot of adjustment for doors out of level. It failed often as it could be over adjusted, and because of the outer sliding panel, panels fell out of buildings – often because of adjustment. This is the main reason why tandem rollers started in our market, and as doors became bigger, their additional load capacity made them more popular. Fortunately, that first tandem roller is now only sold as a downgraded product and our market has standardised more with the rectangular type housings, like our carriages.
• Our carriage has been designed to snap and be captive into the single glazed door rail. It has a retaining lug that references off the rail at one end.
• The carriage is purpose designed for speed and ease of assembly, trouble-free operation and long-term service.
• Without the retaining pip, it would require a grub screw to fix the carriage into place. Worse, if a grub screw only is used on a generic carriage and it was to work loose over time, the carriage can disengage from the rail, and, in the case of the MAX™ internal sliding sills, it would be difficult in the extreme to remove the door should this occur.
• We use a 35mm diameter wheel, compared to the industry standard of 32mm. This gives increased life to the roller and reduces rolling resistance.
• This is a ground double-sealed stainless steel precision bearing, riveted to a pressed stainless steel housing – precision bearings are usually a more costly optional extra from others.
• The rivet ensures the whole assembly can be removed and replaced if necessary. The stainless steel housing means the full load is carried by the housing, so there is no separation and breakdown. In some other assemblies, the range uses a polyamide housing, which can send a side load onto the rail, giving poorer operation.
• The housing is an engineering grade polyamide housing, which ensures a custom fit without the need of mechanical fixing, and separation between the aluminium frame and stainless steel housing / adjusting screw, so no change of electrolysis.
• The carriage assembly (two per door) gives a 180kg panel weight at 100,000 cycles.
• Note our single wheel carriage has the same 35mm diametre wheel and precision bearing and is rated to 80kg – more than enough for a 2700 x 900 panel with 6/12/6 glass.
• Ground double-sealed stainless steel precision bearing, riveted to a pressed stainless steel carriage. The rivet ensures the whole assembly can be removed and replaced, if necessary. The stainless steel housing means the full load is carried by the housing, so there is no separation and breakdown. In some assemblies, like Ciilock and Anthony, their range uses a polyamide carriage, which can send a side load onto the rail, which gives poorer operation.
• The housing is engineering grade polyamide housing which ensures a custom fit without the need of mechanical fixing, and separation between the aluminium framer and stainless steel housing / adjusting crew so no electrolysis.